Musings from the dogpound

Monday, June 27, 2005

Siblings

When I was pregnant with Bella people frequently asked me how Kylie and Phillip felt about having a baby in the family. Aside from a little hesitation initially (on Kylie's behalf), they both seemed to welcome the idea of having another sibling to love. Now that Bella is two and a half months old I can say that they have both truly welcomed her with open arms. I think their warm reception has something to do with the fact that even at their young ages they understand that love is infinite. They both realize that our loving Bella doesn't take away from the love that we have for them. I believe they also realize that their lives are enriched by having another person to love, and who loves them.

Phillip dotes on his baby sister. In his mind she is "our baby" or "my baby" and he insists on kissing and hugging her several times a day. He is particularly fascinated by her "little hands", which he frequently comments are "so cute". There is no doubt that he will be the loving, protective big brother that every little sister deserves. Rob moved the seats in the van around over the weekend, and when Phillip got in this morning he discovered that he was sitting right next to Bella instead of having a little aisle between them. He was so excited! "Mommy", he asked, "can I talk to Bella in the van?". All the way to my parent's house (10 minutes) he kept up a running dialogue with Bella, stopping just a few times to let me know she was still awake - hmmmm, wonder why?

Kylie has gladly (and without being asked) assumed the role of little mother. When we're trying to get ready to go somewhere Kylie is happy to sing to Bella, resulting in one of two things - Bella smiling at her until her little cheeks are about to pop, or Bella going to sleep. Either reaction thrills her big sister, who can often be heard saying either "Momma, look at her smiling at me!", or "Bella went to sleep for me again.". If Bella gets fussy while we're on the road Kylie will peek over the seat and sing to her, which usually settles her right down. Bella already watches Kylie with wide eyes, as if to say "I want to be just like you someday!".

The biggest sign that Bella has been embraced by her siblings is the fact that they have both indicated the desire to have another baby in the family. Phillip asked me soon after Bella was born if we could "get another new baby someday", and Kylie has mentioned it as well. Bella is a lucky little girl to have Kylie and Phillip for a big sister and big brother. I know as she grows there will be days when they bicker and don't get along, but at the end of the day they will all still love each other. I also know there will come a day when they realize that one of the greatest gifts their Dad and I ever gave them is each other.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awwww. I agree that giving children siblings (if you can) is one of the best things you can do for them. They learn so much about love.

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Edie said…

    As the youngest of four children (and hopefully someday the mother of four!) I wholeheartedly agree!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home