Musings from the dogpound

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The End is Near

This is not my favorite time of year. The days are growing shorter, the nights cooler, and in less than a week the kids will be heading back to school. Once again summer has passed by far too quickly, and I am not ready to say goodbye. This summer was not one of our better ones. Much of it was rainy, or at least gray and cool, not a nice beach summer, not a nice summer for doing things outside. The lack of true summer weather and beach days made it go by even faster, and I fear our winter will seem even longer.

Our vacation week was a wash. With the exception of one day, which we thankfully spent at StoryLand, every day we were on vacation it either rained or threatened rain. We didn't make it to the beach, had to cancel a day at the lake with friends, it was a crappy week. We made the best of it and have the pictures to prove it, but it certainly wasn't what we had in mind.

Now summer is almost over. As far as I'm concerned, summer ends on Labor Day. Sure there are a few days in September that would be fine beach days, but with two-thirds of my little ones in school the beach doesn't seem so appealing. I would feel guilty enjoying the surf and sand with Bella, knowing that Phillip and Kylie were sitting in stuffy classrooms.

This time of year makes me very melancholy. The relaxing, unscheduled days of summer are almost over, to be replaced by the rush that accompanies the school year. We will rush in the mornings to get out the door, we will rush to get to dance and karate, we will rush to finish homework, get showers, eat dinner, and get to bed at a decent time, so that the next day we can rush through all those things again. I am also melancholy because the beginning of the school year is a very real reminder that my babies are growing up. This year Kylie will be headed to fourth grade and Phillip to first. Where has the time gone?

As much as they fight, bicker, and generally drive me crazy some days, I will really miss those two when the big yellow bus takes them away next Tuesday. I will cry when it rumbles past, taking them away from me for the next eight hours. I will look at the clock throughout the day and wonder what they are doing, if they are okay, if everyone is being nice to them, if they miss me too. Gradually we will settle into the routine, but those first few days my heart will ache for them. I will listen for their footsteps, their laughter, the inevitable arguing, but it will not come. Bella will do a good job of filling the void, but there is only so much one three year old can do to make up for the quiet that ensues when a nine year old and six year old are gone.

Next week I will go back to watching the clock. I will anxiously await the arrival of 3:30, the time when the bus usually returns my two little rugrats to me. I will greet them with hugs and homemade cookies, ready to hear about all of their first and fourth grade adventures. Yes, the end is near, and I for one am nowhere near ready.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home