Musings from the dogpound

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Fast and furious Friday

Wow, another busy week at the dogpound! As evidenced by my previous post, last Thursday was Kylie's seventh birthday. We had a little celebration for her that night with cake and gifts but her family party was Friday night. On Saturday two of her friends were coming over to have another little party at our house. I knew Friday was going to be crazy busy, and it lived up to my expectations.

Friday morning started off with Phillip hollering excitedly through the bathroom door just as I stepped out of the shower at 7:02, "Momma, there's a big twuck out fwont and a guy walkin' up the dwiveway!!". There I stood dripping wet, and not quite ready to receive the load of sheetrock that was being dropped off for our addition. We had been told the truck would arrive between 7:00 - 7:30, which I knew meant 7:30 at the earliest because those things are never on time - wrong! I quickly ran a towel over myself and hopped back into my jammies to go meet the truck driver before he hit the doorbell and sent the dogs into a barking frenzy which would wake Bella. Since Rob was still sleeping (we had been up until 1:00 that morning) I went out to move the car so the truck could get in the driveway. After that I ran back into the house to wake Kylie who had to get on the bus in 25 minutes, and Rob who had to be at work in an hour.

From there things were a blur as I rushed around to get Kylie out the door and Bella and Phillip ready to go to my parent's house. It was my first day volunteering in Kylie's class and I was supposed to be at school at 8:10. I left the house a few minutes before 8:00 and raced over to my parent's house, arriving there at 8:07. I hurriedly kissed the kids and hopped back in the van, bending the speed limit just enough to make it to Kylie's school at 8:17 and her classroom at 8:20. I worked with some of the students until 9:30, at which time I raced home to make sure the freezer repair man wasn't waiting for me ("yes, Mrs. R., our man will be there sometime between 9:00 and noon on Friday", "okay kind repair people, I will sit here and watch out the window for him to pull into my driveway as I have nothing else to do with my life"). He wasn't there yet, so I updated the note I had left on the door for him to say I would be home at 10:15 and buzzed back over to my parent's house. I picked up both kids and managed to pull into the driveway at 10:14 - phew!

At that point the rest of the day became a race against the clock. We had twelve family members arriving at 6:00 for Kylie's birthday party and I had lots to do to be ready. I no sooner started making the big pot of chili I was planning for that evening than Bella wanted to nurse. I retired to the couch where she proceeded to snack for about ten minutes before really getting down to business and filling her little tummy. After that I snuggled her down in the pouch where she rested her head comfortably on my chest and watched me prepare the chili.

Once the chili was made and starting to cook it was time to tackle the cake. Kylie insisted she wanted a whoopie pie cake for her birthday, despite my best efforts to convince her that we could get her a really good cake from the baker who makes almost all the cakes for our family parties. I figured one cake wouldn't be enough, so I set out to make two. Just as the first one was coming together nicely the freezer repair man arrived. I showed him to the freezer and returned to the kitchen where I managed to get the first cake made and in the pans just as Bella started to doze off. Phillip was remarkably good through all of this, playing, helping, watching the freezer repair man, watching tv, just a happy little guy.

$84 later the freezer was working, the freezer repair man left, and things were quiet. My chili was bubbling, the first cake was baking, the second cake was taking shape in the mixing bowls, and I felt like I just might be ready by 6:00 (although I still had a little cleaning to do). About that time the doorbell rang, the dogs took off barking, and Bella almost jumped out of the pouch. It was the sheetrock guys who had arrived to begin hanging the sheetrock. They began traipsing through the house in their wet (did I mention it was raining?), dust covered boots and I immediately gave up on the idea of cleaning the floors prior to the party. The dogs were wild, Phillip was wild, and sweet Bella decided that her nap was not yet finished so she went back to sleep. I crept up the stairs and, holding my breath, gently placed her in her cradle where she slept soundly for three hours (go Bella, go Bella!!!).

About twenty minutes after the sheetrock guys arrived the furniture delivery guys arrived, bringing Phillip's new bedroom set and more craziness with them. Unfortunately all of Rob's efforts for the week had been concentrated on hanging the insulation in advance of the sheetrock guys starting, so he hadn't had time to dismantle Phillip's crib which meant there was no place for Phillip's new bed to be set up. I pushed all thoughts of Kylie's potential displeasure out of my mind and told them to just put everything in her room for the time being as there was obviously nowhere in Phillip's tiny room to place any of the items. It was at this time that Foster, one of our golden retrievers, kicked into bratty kid mode. With furniture guys going in and out of Ky's room, and sheetrock guys going in and out of Phillip's room (the access to our addition is a doorway through his existing room, he will get a new bedroom when the addition is done) his kleptomaniac tendencies kicked in and every time I turned around he was sneaking around with a stuffed animal hanging out of his mouth - remind me again why I wanted a dog!! By the time I was able to close the doors to both bedrooms I had a pile of eight slobbery stuffed animals sitting on the counter - ick!

Through the chaos I managed to finish my cakes and get Phillip a bath. Kylie arrived home from school shortly after that and I tossed her in the shower (so nice that she can do that now that she is older!), and when Bella woke up she too was treated to a dip in the tub. I got the bathrooms cleaned and my tables dusted, frosted the cakes and put them in the fridge, and e-mailed Rob a last minute list of things to grab at the store on his way home (early, I suggested, if he knew what was good for him!). He got home in time to vacuum the house behind the recently departed sheetrock guys who promised to be back at 7:00 Saturday morning to finish the job. I whipped up some buffalo chicken dip to cook a little later and headed upstairs to change my clothes and nurse Bella before company arrived.

As is the norm for our family parties everyone brought food so we had plenty to eat. Kylie could barely contain herself and opened her gifts about an hour after everyone arrived. She was thrilled with all the goodies she received (including a set of "Little House on the Prairie" books, which thrilled me too!) and started lobbying for cake shortly after the presents were opened. It turns out one cake was exactly enough to feed everyone, which meant I still had a cake left for Kylie's party with her friends on Saturday (I was going to get up early and make another cake) - yay!! It was a nice party but I was relieved to have it behind us. There was more than one moment during the day that I considered greeting guests in my sweats with half baked cakes and cold chili, but fortunately that didn't happen. Most importantly, Kylie had a wonderful time and enjoyed every minute of her party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home