Musings from the dogpound

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

She's gone

The big yellow bus belched it's way down our street this morning, stopping at the end of our driveway to swallow up my little girl and transport her to the first day of first grade. Robbie and I went to her school last night to see her classroom and meet her teacher, Mrs. S.. She has been teaching for twenty-one years and has more enthusiasm than one person has a right to have. When we left the meeting Robbie remarked "she's a little high octane for me", but I suspect for a room of first graders she is absolutely perfect.

There's something comforting about living in a small town surrounded by the rest of one's family. Mrs. S. also taught Kylie's cousins Ross, now 18 and heading off to his first year of college, and Ashley, now 16 and beginning her sophomore year of high school. She was delighted to learn last night that Kylie is related to them, and I would imagine that when she sees Kylie she will notice her resemblance to Ashley. We learned last night that there is a new girl in Ky's class whose family just moved here over the summer. I asked Kylie last night to be friendly with this little girl, introduce her to some of her friends, and include her when they gather for snack, recess, and lunch. I have heard too many stories lately of "new" kids not being welcomed at school and it hurts my Mommy heart to think that things like that happen.

By now Kylie should be settled at her desk and have the note that Mrs. S. asked each parent to leave on their child's desk last night. She has another note in her lunchbox, she'll find that when it's time for snack. There's a poem that I wrote when Kylie started Kindergarten that still applies:
Her little nose pressed to the glass,
how did the time pass by so fast?
Her little hand goes up to wave,
I will not cry, I will be brave.
The years have flown by since the day
that we first brought her home,
and now the big bus rolls away,
my little girl is gone.
A school girl now and off to see
the wide world waiting there.
I hope the world is kind to her,
it can be so cruel and unfair.
I stand alone and watch the bus
as it rumbles down the street.
My smile fades as a tear slips out,
have fun at school, my Sweet.
The first day of school is sad. The sadness is a combination of the realization that another summer has come to an end, and the realization that my child is growing and becoming more independent. While I realize the latter is a good thing, it's bittersweet.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Edie, how beautiful...your poem, your descriptions. And on behalf of "new kids" everywhere, I thank you for teaching your daughter to reach out to another child who is probably a little unsure today. If only all parents were like you!

    I hope Kylie has a wonderful day and a wonderful school year.

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Frustrated Farmgirl said…

    Edie, what a beautiful poem for your daughter, one I'm sure she'll cherish forever.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home