Musings from the dogpound

Monday, October 31, 2005

Family values

On countless occasions I have told myself how fortunate I am that on the two and a half days a week that I work my parents are able to watch my children. I have the comfort of knowing that Phillip and Bella are being well cared for in a loving environment by people who are teaching them good values. Recently something happened that has forced me to re-think that...

Last Tuesday when I went to pick Phillip up he was sitting in my Dad's lap. He raced over to me and gave me a big hug, then stood back and wiggled his fingers at me. "Hey Momma, wanna know what these are for?", he inquired with his trademark mischievous grin and twinkling eyes. Not really sure that I wanted the answer but knowing that it was coming anyway, I replied in the affirmative. "They're for picking boogers!!" he hollered, doubling over and laughing hysterically as the words rolled off his tongue (because, of course, anytime an almost four year old boy gets to say "boogers" he has to laugh hysterically). "Really?", I replied in my best Mommy voice (at least the best Mommy voice I could muster over the laughter that was bubbling in my throat), "who told you that?", to which he responded "Poppa". With raised eyebrows I looked over his head at my Dad who was still sitting in the rocking chair in the corner, his mischievous grin and twinkling eyes a carbon copy of my son's. "Hey!", my Dad protested through his own laughter, "don't go getting me in trouble, that's not what I said."

As it turns out Phillip had noticed that day that my Dad had a particularly long fingernail on one finger. When he asked my Dad about it, my Dad replied "that's my nose-picking finger". This has been a running joke in our family for as long as I can remember, but Phillip thought it was about the funniest thing he ever heard. I guess he figured if one nose picking finger was good, then ten would be even better. For the next several days Phillip ran around wiggling his fingers and asking people if they knew what they were for. I may have to pay a little more attention to just what my parents are teaching these little ones!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home